Friday, March 1, 2013


It's another Fiery Friday and today's special guest is author Rose Anderson. Rose took the liberty of interviewing one of her characters from Loving Leonardo.


Take it away, Rose! :)

Thanks, Tonya. I’ve recently completed book two in my unusual Victorian bisexual polyamorous romance – Loving Leonardo. Needless to say, I’ve been in a Victorian frame of mind lately.

I’ve mentioned here and there around the web that this tale came right out of the American headlines last summer. The news was filled with women’s issues and negative talk of “progressives”. I’d heard the term women’s issues combined with progressive before as though the concept of women making their own decisions was unthinkable. That was the point to the Suffragettes 100 years ago! Here it was 2012 and women’s rights were being decided by panels of men. Before I knew it, I had a very American, very unorthodox, Victorian progressive heroine named Ellie and she was as annoyed about the politics of her times as I was about the politics of mine.

What’s more, whom you love, and who you wanted to commit your love to, were hot issues as if love itself was a social condition and not a deeply personal thing. Loving Leonardo as a whole is one of those color outside the lines stories for me. I’d never written a ménage before and I didn’t set out to write one with this story. I set out to make a mini social statement by writing an intelligent romance between two loving men. I suppose if I was a highly organized person instead of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants writer, I could have held to that original idea. But like any good story that takes on a life of its own, it soon told me where it wanted to go. Ok. I like to stretch my abilities as a writer and I especially love challenges.


Available at Amazon

Here’s the blurb:
Bound by limits dictated by society, Art Historian Nicolas Halstead lived a guarded life until a tempest in the form of Elenora Schwaab blew into his world. At first Nicolas can’t decide if the audacious American is simply mad or plotting blackmail for not only does she declare knowledge of his homosexuality, she offers him a marriage proposal. After Ellie tells him of a previously unknown work of Leonardo da Vinci, a book of erotic love poems and sketches dedicated to the artist’s long-time lover Salai, Nicolas joins her in a race to save the book from destruction. Along the way they encounter Historian Luca Franco and discover a comfortable compatibility that comes to redefine their long-held notions of love. The trio embarks on an adventure of sensual discovery, intrigue, and danger.  Little do they know Leonardo da Vinci’s book is far more than meets the eye.

The story continues in Loving Leonardo - The Quest. I’ve enjoyed these characters so much, they may very well return for other adventures.



I’d done several character interviews in the last two years. Believe me, it’s an odd thing to converse with characters born from your imagination, it’s even stranger to interview them yourself and not have to think too long before you answer! So I recently had an encounter with Nicolas where I sat him down and asked some questions. I wondered what Luca might say. I no sooner had the thought when he appeared at the table. Luca Franco was exactly how Nicolas described him. Of course he would be. I’d seen him myself roughly forty years ago. I never knew his name, but he was much older than I and worked in my neighborhood deli. I grew up in a blended Greek and Italian neighborhood in Chicago. Like a duckling, I do believe I imprinted on dark and handsome Mediterranean men. When I wrote Luca, I saw him in my mind's eye because he was real. I recall he had very little English, but OMG was he beautiful with those snow-shadow eyes against his warm-hued skin. I think cold cuts sales tripled with him there. Luca is my imagination’s homage to that gorgeous foreign man. When my voice finally returned, I had a conversation with him.



Luca: Rose! Buona sera!

Rose: Good afternoon Luca, I’m glad you could join me. The story is told through Nicolas’ eyes, but I was wondering if you’d like to share a few of your own perspectives.

Luca: I am happy to oblige, my dear.

Rose: Well, to start why not introduce yourself. I’m sure people will be interested in the inner workings of Luca Franco.

He chuckled.

Luca: I can’t imagine that to be the case. I’m a simple fellow. But as I owe you much Rose, I’ll follow your lead. Where shall we begin?

Rose: Like Nicolas, you too work at the Ashmolean Museum. What work do you do specifically?

Luca: I travel the world searching for precious items from antiquity and bring them back to the museum to be studied, catalogued, and kept safe from the further ravages of time.

Rose: And this interest in Leonardo da Vinci that you share with Nicolas and Ellie…I know Ellie is drawn to the philosophy of the man many consider to be the personification of the Renaissance, and Nicolas is fascinated by the mind behind man’s unique artworks.

Luca: Yes. They bring perspectives into our conversations that are as intriguing as the artist himself.

Rose: And what do you bring?

Luca: I’ve studied da Vinci’s world and his place in history to feed my own curiosity. The man was beyond brilliant. He possessed a ricchezza d'ingegno, a talento. A persona di genio.

Rose: I’m sorry. I only speak a little Italian.

Luca: Forgive me. I said Leonardo possessed a richness of intellect, a talent. He was undoubtedly a person of genius

Rose: I find him all of those things as well.

Those snow-shadow blue eyes sparkled. Good lord he was as handsome as I remembered.

Luca: But of course you would. You are the author here.

Rose: So…tell me about this unusual relationship you have with Nicolas and Ellie.

Luca: Never have I felt such loving acceptance. We’ve bonded through our common interests, beliefs, and temperaments. I love them with every fiber of my being. I’d die to keep them safe.

Rose: Yes, there are terrible dangers ahead. And do you see this…this, loving ménage lasting? Nicolas has family obligations to his title and estate...

Luca: Oddly enough, I do. The important thing is love, Rose. With love, anything is possible no matter the opinions of the world. Even in your time, mio caro.

What more could I say. He mirrored my sentiments exactly. Of course he would.  :)

About Rose ~
I love words and choose them as carefully as an artist might choose a color. My active imagination compels me to write everything from children’s stories to historical fiction. As a persnickety leisure reader, I especially enjoy novels that feel like they were written just for me. It's hard to explain, but if you've ever read one of those, then you know what I mean. I tend to sneak symbolism and metaphor into my writing. You might say it's a game I play with myself when I write. And I so love when readers email to say they've found something. I’d like people to feel my stories were written just for them, for that’s the truth. These hidden insights are my gift to my readers.

Loving Leonardo Buy Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LS3H6Q

1 comment: